logo
    Book Online

098 25045  /  086 887 0814  /  087 660 0409

Seafarers For Many Generations

About Us

Inishturk Places of Interest  

Inishturk Signal Tower: The signal tower was built during 1805-1806 by local labour and cost around 600 pound. There were 82 towers built finishing on Malin Head no 82. Inishturk was no 57. The system used was a heliograph or steel plate polished to reflect the rays of the sun to passing ships, the first morse code to discourage Napoleon.

Port an Dun: The remains of a Ninth Century AD, Dun or Fort over looking the only natural lagoon on any of the off shore island’s over looks it. The little harbour got its name from the Dun it is known as Port An Dun and was used by the Norse men during their raids as Gold was found there. The last chief that lived there made Beer off the heather that covered the island at the time. The Danes wanted the recipe but the chief was not willing to disclose it, he told them to kill his son which they did and he jumped into the cove and drowned himself.

The Old Church: The old church up on the hill was in use in the penal times dating back to the sixteenth century for the west end with the east end added in the famine times. The roof was taken to repair a church roof on the mainland in 1877.

The Present Graveyard:The Graveyard was a Pagan centre before it was used as a graveyard as the 1838 map shows a stone circle indicating its pagan origins.The little oratory is in the shape of a coffin and a holed stone for healing and marriage rituals. The oratory had a corbeled roof originally.

 

Family Run Business

seafarers for many generations